Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Weird stuff. And pie.

But first I want to say something about gauge and speed. As I edited to add Tuesday, Melinda's question really prompted me to think about my technique. Even though I knit continental, I guess it slows me down that I am relying on my left hand to do the main work of knitting (given the fact that I am not left-handed). My style is pretty quirky, I admit, and now I guess I have to decide: stick with what feels good and right (no matter how technically "wrong" - though I agree with EZ, Annie Modesitt, and others that there is no wrong way to knit), or try to retrain myself to use my right hand more and get faster.

The fact is, I really like my rhythm, even if it isn't as fast as I could possibly go. It feels good, and meditative, and relaxing. I really like what Dave had to say on the subject: Re speed: I liken it to a rocking chair. Yes, I can rock faster if I really want to, but there's that one mid-ground rhythym that's so relaxing -- I go for the zone. Excellent thought, Dave, and I concur. That will be my new metaphor whenever I get aggravated that I'm not cranking through my queue more quickly.

And one more thing on the subject. As I've reflected, I've realized that part of the reason I am "Miss Approximate" is that I have always preferred to get things done fast more than to get them done right. I realize this is a character flaw, or can be. I mean, there are times when fast is better than accurate. But maybe my knitting is teaching me that sometimes accurate is worth the time. When it comes to knitting, it definitely is.

Okay. On to weird stuff. You've seen the ubiquitous meme. You've probably posted it yourself. I decided not to play along, believing that you had already read enough weird stuff about me in my 100 Things. But alas. I cannot resist the siren call of yet another meme. I have so enjoyed every single one of the weird things I have read on other people's blogs. So. Here are six weird things about me. I know you've been anxious to know.
  1. It really depresses me to have blinds closed during the day, to the point that I can hardly stand being in someone's house or office if they had the blinds down during daylight. In my own house, it's the first thing I do in the morning after bathroom/brush teeth/make coffee. I like the blinds closed at night, of course, but not until the sun has completely set - I don't want to miss one second of the sunlight.
  2. At night, every door in my bedroom, especially the closet doors, must be shut when I go to bed. I cannot go to sleep if a closet door is open, even a crack. Daytime = all blinds open. Nighttime = all bedroom doors shut. I don't think that's too much to ask.
  3. My side of the bed is whichever one is furthest from the main door. This was not a conscious decision. I didn't even realize I did this until My Old Man pointed it out. Whenever we are in a hotel or someone else's home, I automatically choose the side of the bed that is furthest from the door. When we bought the house we live in now, I immediately picked the right side of the bed (furthest from the door) even though for the previous two years of our marriage, I had been sleeping on the left. Fortunately, My Old Man doesn't mind switching sides whenever we travel. Or move.
  4. I slept with a teddy bear until I was 23. Then I got a Rottweiler, and there wasn't enough room for her and the bear in the bed; the Rottie won. I still have the bear, though. His name is Teddy, and I got him for my first Christmas.
  5. I do not step on cracks. This is not because of any fears for my mother's wellbeing. It just bothers me to step on them, and I avoid it.
  6. I have an aversion to tasting things I've cooked before I actually serve them. Which means I sometimes put things on the table that are not adequately seasoned, or are not hot enough. I don't know what my problem is, though I think it has to do with not wanting to taste something out of the pot/pan/dish that everyone else will be served out of (though I know I don't have to put the spoon back in after I taste it). I think it also has to do with a fear of burning my mouth. After a few too many dishes ended up on the table without enough salt or heat, My Old Man asked me to start tasting things before calling everyone to the table. I still couldn't bring myself to do it. So now he is my taster.*
Speaking of tasting, did you know that Tuesday was National Pie Day? Thanks to Ashley, I found out in time to make some pie-baking plans. Yes, I know, I am highly suggestible. A marketer's dream, really. But I love to bake, and My Old Man loves pie, so it wasn't too hard of a sell.

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

Not a great picture, but it was a great pie, and I prefer a so-so picture in a blog post to no pic at all, so there ya go. I have to say, I love epicurious. Some of my favorite recipes are ones I have found there, and that includes a new favorite, which I made for dinner the night we had this pie: Turkey Sausage-Spinach Lasagna with Spicy Tomato Sauce. It is crazy good - believe the four fork rating. Usually, I am at least a little disappointed with most things I cook (just as with knitting - the process is always more fulfilling than the product). But with this lasagna, man, as soon as I tasted it, I thought, "This is the best thing I've ever made." Okay, I'll admit, I'm prone to hyperbole. But it was really good. If you like rich stuff, and you've got few hours to put into a great dinner, try it. You won't be sorry.

*Technically, the rules of the Six Weird Things Meme stipulate that you are to tag 6 other people with this Meme. But the funny thing is, every one that I've read has declined to tag 6 people, and instead has said do it if you want to. So, I'll be lemming-like one more time and say the same thing. Consider yourselves tagged.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

That lasagna recipe was in Bon Appeite years ago -- I still have my copy! The last time I made it I was in labor with my son (so over 4 years ago.) It definitely is yummy.

Re speed -- I agree, sometimes I have to remind myself that I knit because I like to knit. There is no real hurry -- it's all supposed to be enjoyable.

Have a good weekend!

lyca said...

My first teddy bear's name is Teddy also. I still have him and occasionally he still finds his way into my bed. :-)

goodkarma said...

I'm in the same place you are re: speed of knitting. I knit because I enjoy it, and yet the list of projects I wish to knit grows faster than I can complete each item. So part of me wants to be faster, too.

Thanks for the lasagna link. I love Epicurious, too. How can you go wrong when so many of the recipes are from Bon Appetit? yum. Blackberry pie sounds soo good right now.

Lori said...

I mosied on over after you posted a complement on Alpengleam, the fastest knit in the Wool Room West (Thanks! glad you like it!) and it's funny to read your post about speedy knitting. I am a lefty, and also knit contenental; I learned the method about a year ago, and was amazed at how much faster I knit that way. I definitely knit this last sweater at a faster pace than the "happy medium rhythm" I usually prefer. Blame it on the cold weather and desire for a pretty sweater! (combined with a very obliging yarn and pattern.)
Oh, and I still have my teddy too; his name is Bear.
And the pie looks delicious!

Meredith said...

I have a "Teddy" too! Thanks for the recipes--they look very good.

Rachel said...

I knit English, and I often have the same question: do I stick with what works for me, or do I go to the trouble and frustration of retraining myself? If I knew my retraining would eventually be successful I'd probably go for it, but the few times I've tried I have just wound up annoyed and have given up. You and I can puzzle this one out in parallel.

Thanks for highlighting Dave's comment -- a very good one.

shenevertakesherwatchoff said...

The pie looks yummy and I am more of a cake person ;-)

I'm excited about doing the six weird things meme. I love memes, but I bet I am not as weird as you. harrumph

Sarah

JanuaryOne Cara said...

I agree that you should knit however you feel most comfortable - regardless of the speed. Not only will this be more relaxing for you, but I bet you will get a much more even tension over the course of your project. The zone is what to strive for - regardless of how fast you get there.