Saturday, February 25, 2006

And now for something completely different....

I'm knitting with "novelty yarn." I know, I know. It doesn't suit the fiber snob in me. But I really wanted to make this Elongated Stitch Scarf for a co-worker's birthday next week. In fact, it's been on my "to knit" list since about October (when I was going to do it for several Christmas presents and then didn't). I loved the way it looked in Numei's Stained Glass Yarn , as seen here . (Didn't schrodinger do a lovely job?)

So I cast on Thursday and have got about 3 feet done. I find ribbon yarn to be a bit tricky and slow to work with, but so far I am pleased with the results. It took me a few inches to get the hang of it, but I think I've got it now. The birthday is Thursday, and it should definitely be done by then.

Meanwhile, multiple projects are languishing:
  • my Year of the Sweater KAL sweater for me - Stitch 'n Bitch To Dye For pattern. I finished the back but then got absorbed in the Anniversary Sweater and haven't done a thing since January 16.
  • the Anniversary Sweater - did one underarm kitchener stitch seam, ended up with holes on either end. Still need to fix that, do the other underarm, and weave in multiple ends. Maybe I'll finish it while it's still cool enough to wear a sweater....
  • my Anthropologie-inspired capelet - I'm maybe halfway done. I want to finish this in time for Easter, to wear with a dress I'm planning on sewing myself (yeah, when am I going to do that?)
  • a baby blanket that was going to be for a baby who is now 4 months old and will probably be a toddler before I finish. It's a handwashable and I've decided I'm the only person I know who would willingly handwash a baby blanket, so I'm just going to keep it for one of my boys.
Even with all of these unfinished projects, my next priority really must be a pair of socks for my dad, whose birthday is March 15th. And I've been intending to knit the boys each a pair of the LTK Stripey Slippers (bought the pattern in December, already have the wool) and each a pair of LTK Picky Pants longies (bought the pattern and the wool in October). And I keep looking at spring sweaters and vests for them too. *Sigh* - sometimes I wish I could just knit all the time....

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

oh dear, I've got a few unfinished projects, I mean to say in-progress projects, going too.

ryc- for teaching knitting, I'd say start at age 6 or 7, depending on their temperaments. At the school, we start in 1st grade. Little ones forget quickly and need lots of encouragement. They do love to see their creations grow under their fingers.

Sarah said...

I've limited myself to no more than three projects at a time, otherwise things get a little out of control! It's hard, because I'm always seeing new things that I just HAVE to knit, and the sooner the better!