Friday, June 16, 2006

I knit! I sew! I potty train!

Feeling a tad victorious today.

Though I really shouldn't be, as far as knitting goes. Zero news to report. No knitting done yet today (the boys got up extra early). And yesterday was a near-bust too. I did the tiniest bit of seaming on Bronty before I had to go to work. Last night, with the boys in bed and My Old Man out for the evening, would've been prime knitting time, but I made myself do all those dreadful "adult" things - clean the kitchen, put up toys, bring our checkbook up-to-date (a tall order given how long it has been since I recorded anything - oof!).

My first sewing class was great. I've got my pattern about halfway cut out and am supposed to finish cutting it before next Wednesday's class. I'm making a simple dress out of a flax-colored linen embroidered with butterflies and flowers. I picked the fabric to match my Anthropologie-Inspired Disaster (one of these days I'll post a picture of the monstrosity and ask for suggestions for how to rectify what I don't like about it). I've got all kinds of ideas for other stuff I want to make soon. It's amazing how much more quickly a sewing FO is than a knitted FO!

The big news, though, is the potty training. Actually, I prefer the term "potty learning" because I don't feel like I am training so much as trying to follow their cues and keep up with what they are already doing. I guess to some people these days, 2 seems early to be working on potty stuff, esp. with boys, but I swear they have led the way. [Warning: the following contains graphic words like "pee-pee" and "poo-poo." If you cannot stomach such images, head straight for Friday's Feast, below.] Little Buddha has used the potty (both pee-pee and poo-poo) at least once a day 6 out of the last 7 days. Yesterday, he used it twice, including standing up to pee-pee one of those times (not anything we have pushed or encouraged, just what he wanted to do). Once Tiny Dancer saw that standing was a potty option (every other time he has just stood and peed on the floor), he chose to pee in the potty - three times in a row! (with stunning aim) He was so proud he did a little dance afterwards (yes, Tiny Dancer is a very apt name for him). Am hoping the days of them stripping down and peeing/pooping wherever they want (hardwood floor, cribs, mommy's shoes) are over. There have been some nasty, nasty incidents here at our house. Let's just say that I never realized motherhood would involve scrubbing excrement off the walls.

On that appetizing note, it's Friday's Feast time.


Friday's Feast #98

Appetizer

What is a word that you use that would not be considered common?
"Lectionary." This is the collection of Scriptures that preachers in the mainline traditions choose from in determining what passage to preach from each Sunday. Baptists haven't traditionally drawn from these, but we do (and more and more Baptists do).

Soup
What theme of calendar do you have on your wall this year?
I have four calendars. The one in my study at home and my office at work are the same - a great illustrated Biblical calendar from The Printery House (part of a monastery in Missouri) that I've been getting for years. In my bedroom is a nature-themed one with Scripture verses that our youth group sells every year to raises money for our sister church in Nicaragua. And in my kitchen is the awesome More Time Moms calendar.

Salad
Name 3 people you speak with by telephone a regular basis.
My parents, pretty much every day.
My Old Man, when one of us is at the office and the other at home.
Our awesome Administrative Assistant, when I'm working from home.
And that's pretty much it. I'm not really a big phone person. I talk to people on the phone for work and if I need to set up social plans but otherwise it is my least-preferred mode of communication.

Main Course
If you could buy a new outfit for someone you know - who would it be and what would you purchase for them?
I guess I'd get something for My Old Man, though I don't know what. Just something cool and fun for summer, with some really sharp new shoes.

Dessert
What is the last beverage you drank?
Coffee. And before that - coffee.

11 comments:

Meredith said...

Glad you've enjoyed the sewing class! How did you find out about it? I've been interested in sewing but don't know where to start.

Unknown said...

looks like most of us do it...the coffee thing...

mines up. :)

Wystful1 said...

That's why they put an extra "S" in dessert...'cause you can't have just ONE!!!

Come dine with me, my feast is served

essjay said...

Glad to hear potty-learning is going well - your story left me laughing! I'm also glad you are enjoying the sewing class. My husband would not be pleased with another hobby, so I'll stick to knitting!

mmog37 said...

Coffe wins the Dessert contest!
I enjoyed your feast

Amber @ Cafe Physique said...

I've never tasted coffee before (honestly), but I'm going to have to check it out after seeing so many comments about it in the dessert sections today.

Becka said...

Sewing class sounds fun! I can't wait to see your dress, sounds lovely! WOW, great to hear that potty learning and aiming are going so well...WTG, boys!

Mama Duck said...

Good luck with the potty training! We haven't even started yet, I'm dreading it ;). This is my first time doing the feast, what fun!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Looks like coffee is popular.
My feast is up too.

Kris said...

Good luck with the potty training.

earthchick said...

Thanks, all. :)

Meredith - I'm taking the sewing class at a Joann's Superstore. I found their class schedule online and when there was finally a class that fit my own schedule I called and registered. I think it's a nice deal - $75 for 3 3-hour classes, and it's just me and four other women (plus the teacher). You can bring your own machine or borrow one of theirs. And at the first class you don't have to know or bring anything - the teacher will walk you through picking out a pattern, picking out fabric, figuring out your measurements, etc., and you can buy everything you need that day. (Our teacher gave us a detailed tour of everything the store sells for sewing).

There are plenty of tutorials online, as well as books and patterns that can help a person learn. But I finally decided that I wasn't going to do it unless I laid out some cash and made an up-front time investment. I'm really glad I did - and I'd highly recommend it. I think it's going to be a less time-intensive hobby than knitting.