Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Random Spackle

I know you think that everyone in the blogosphere has already done the 7 Random Things meme. But I haven't. In fact, I didn't even realize I'd been tagged last month until last week (hi, KB!). And even though I suppose this particular meme is so last month, I'm doing it anyway. I only like to do trends when they're not trendy anymore anyway. Besides, I feel the need to blog even though I'm behind with picture-taking (meaning I can't currently blog my most bloggable stuff). So you might as well just have to read more random stuff about me. Because 100 things last summer wasn't enough, right?

You know the "rules." Post 7 random things about yourself and then tag 7 more people to do the same. Funny thing is, nearly every one of these memes I've read, the blogger has declined to tag anyone else (which has made me wonder how this meme has made it around at all). Not me, man. I'll be tagging folks for sure. You know, gotta buck the trend. ;)

Without further ado:
  1. When I was five, my mother taught me how to say the alphabet backwards. I always found this a very clever trick, and have been known to show it off at parties. Because there is nothing cooler at a party than a sober chick saying her alphabet backwards.
  2. Since a very young age, I have been extraordinarily interested in dreams. In 8th grade, I did an independent study project on dreams. It was during my research that I discovered some books in the library by a guy named Freud (which I first thought was pronounced "Frood.") As a part of my project presentation, I enlisted three students to act out the id, ego, and super-ego, so as to demonstrate to the class Freud's theory about the subconscious. The teacher was duly impressed. (If only I had also said my alphabet backwards for her!) I still like to analyze and sometimes record my dreams, and they sometimes help me figure out important stuff going on in my psyche. I have occasionally dreamed of things happening before they actually did.
  3. I am a little bit addicted to reading about true crime, especially of the unsolved and/or serial killer variety. I recently found a first-rate true crime blog that is stoking the addiction.
  4. I only have 27 teeth; this is not the result of having had any adult teeth pulled. I have never had lateral incisors (the ones on either side of the top front teeth), one of my 12 year molars, or any wisdom teeth. According to x-rays, I will never get wisdom teeth in (they are not in my head). This makes me highly evolved, right?
  5. I own all 10 seasons of Friends on DVD. And I'm not as embarrassed as I should be about that.
  6. I ran cross country and track (my event was the 2-mile) in high school, but then stopped running after a knee injury my first year in college (side-tackled by a guy in a "friendly" game of Capture the Flag). After an 18-year hiatus (that's half my life now!), I just took up running again last week (thank you, Couch to 5K). I have been enjoying it far more than I remembered - actually finding myself smiling as I run. It has also provided me with some major flashes of deja vu - the way the wind feels, the way my shadow looks, the way the air smells early in the morning. It just brings it all back. I half expect to end the run by meeting up with my trackstar boyfriend and my galpal running partner to spend an afternoon eating chips, listening to the Pet Shop Boys, and watching Evil Dead 2 on video.
  7. In college, I briefly sang and played guitar in a band called Random Spackle. The other singer/guitarist and I named the group by putting together our two favorite words. Mine was random and his was spackle. Hence the title not only of our band, but this post.
So many things you never knew you didn't know about me and now probably wish you still didn't. Now it's time to hear seven more from seven more. I'm going to tag dickie and Amber first, in hopes of luring them back into posting. Miss you! I was going to do the same with Becky, but she started posting again without the lure. Still, Becky, you're tagged! Next I'm tagging a couple of other MDC Knitters Sarah and Melinda. And to round things out, a couple of non-knitters (or, in my optimism I will call them not-yet-knitters), and people I actually know in real life: Sarah and CJ. CJ has just dipped her toe into blogworld with a biking blog, so stop by and give her a little shout-out. Of course she's at the beach right now, lucky thing, but stop by and say hey anyway.

ETA: I'm a total dork. Melinda did this meme just a few weeks ago; I just forgot. So I'm hitting someone else with this meme - someone I meant to include in the first place but, again, I forgot. I guess I'm getting old. Anyway, I'm tagging Lauren, another blogger I know in real life.

One last random thing, because I'm on a roll now. And because it will set up my next post. My favorite form of humor is repetition. A perfect example of that is my favorite knock-knock joke as a kid:
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock-knock.
Who's there
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?.....

Stay tuned for the answer to this and other pressing questions....

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay, many things to say:

1) There is one thing cooler than a sober chick who can say the alphabet backwards. A sober chick who can recite all 50 states in alphabetical order. Oh yeah.

2) I did my 8th grade "science" project on dreams! And I pronounced it Frood in my head as well (I first encountered the man in a Lois Lowry "Anastasia Krupnik" book -- ever read those?

3) My husband is also doing Couch to 5K. He does not smile during any part of it. Ah well.

4) I know the answer to your knock knock joke, but I won't ruin it for everyone else!

Unknown said...

Random Spackle, I love it!

Melinda said...

Couch to 5 k is so awesome! I'm now running 9 miles a week (well, the heat is slowing me down a bit) and still in shock at the idea. I did the meme a few weeks ago: http://slightlyobsessed.blogspot.com/2007/05/that-whole-7-random-things-thing.html

Thanks for thinking of me.

Melinda said...

PS that was my favorite knock-knock joke too. DS is still trying to get it down, he just keeps going on and on forgetting what comes next.

allybea said...

Am I the only one not knowing the answer to the knock knock joke? Maybe it's a cultural thing!

Just found your blog thru Wardrobe Refashion. Love it! Do a bit of running myself but it's DH who is the real runner as you will see on my non-knitting blog!

shenevertakesherwatchoff said...

Hey Stacey--
I wanted to say "Love the hair, girlfriend!" at our meeting the other day, but didn't want to in front of all the crotchety old men there. :-) (Not yours-- the other ones!)

Sarah